Mobile applicatins are at the center of digital revolution across sectors today. Customers now have a lot of options to effortlessly switch to alternative mobile applications and are increasingly intolerant of poor user experience, functional defects, below-par performance, or device compatibility issues. Mobile testing of applications is therefore now critical step for businesses looking for launching new applications and consumer communication. With the latest developments and changing requirements, Oniyosys provides comprehensive mobile application testing services with best output assurance. To cope up with the emerging challenges of complex mobile devices, we provide extensive training and monitoring of the latest trends and development in testing.
Mobile Application Testing:
Here the applications that work on mobile devices and their functionality is tested for better user interface and error checks. It is called the “Mobile Application Testing” and in the mobile applications, there are few basic differences that are important to understand:
a) Native apps: A native application is created for using it on a platform like mobile and tablets.
b) Mobile web apps are server-side apps to access website/s on mobile using different browsers like Chrome, Firefox by connecting to a mobile network or wireless network like WIFI.
c) Hybrid apps are combinations of native app and web app. They run on devices or offline and are written using web technologies like HTML5 and CSS.
There are few basic differences that set these apart:
- Native apps have single platform affinity while mobile web apps have cross platform affinity.
- Native apps are written in platforms like SDKs while Mobile web apps are written with web technologies like html, css, asp.net, java, php.
- For a native app, installation is required but for mobile web apps, no installation is required.
- Native app can be updated from play store or app store while mobile web apps are centralized updates.
- Many native app don’t require Internet connection but for mobile web apps it’s a must.
- Native app works faster when compared to mobile web apps.
- Native apps are installed from app stores like Google play store or app store where mobile web are websites and are only accessible through Internet.
Significance of Mobile Application Testing
Testing applications on mobile devices is more challenging than testing web apps on desktop due to
- Different range of mobile devices with different screen sizes and hardware configurations like hard keypad, virtual keypad (touch screen) and trackball etc.
- Wide varieties of mobile devices like HTC, Samsung, Apple and Nokia.
- Different mobile operating systems like Android, Symbian, Windows, Blackberry and IOS.
- Different versions of operation system like iOS 5.x, iOS 6.x, BB5.x, BB6.x etc.
- Different mobile network operators like GSM and CDMA.
- Frequent updates – (like android- 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, iOS-5.x, 6.x) – with each update a new testing cycle is recommended to make sure no application functionality is impacted.
Types of Mobile App Testing:
To address all the above technical aspects, the following types of testing are performed on Mobile applications.
Usability testing– To make sure that the mobile app is easy to use and delivers a satisfactory user experience to the customers
Compatibility testing– Testing of the application in various mobiles devices, browsers, screen sizes and OS versions according to the requirements.
Interface testing– Testing of menu options, buttons, bookmarks, history, settings, and navigation flow of the application.
Services testing– Testing the services of the application online and offline.
Low level resource testing: Testing of memory usage, auto deletion of temporary files, local database growing issues known as low level resource testing.
Performance testing– Testing the performance of the application by changing the connection from 2G, 3G to WIFI, sharing the documents, battery consumption, etc.
Operational testing– Testing of backups and recovery plan if battery goes down, or data loss while upgrading the application from store.
Installation tests– Validation of the application by installing /uninstalling it on the devices.
Security Testing– Testing an application to validate if the information system protects data or not.
Test Cases for Testing a Mobile App
In addition to functionality based test cases, Mobile application testing requires special test cases which should cover following scenarios.
Battery usage– It’s necessary to keep a track of battery consumption while running application on the mobile devices.
Speed of the application- the response time on different devices, with different memory parameters, with different network types etc.
Data requirements – For installation as well as to verify if the user with limited data plan will able to download it.
Memory requirement– again, to download, install and run
Functionality of the application– make sure application is not crashing due to network failure or anything else.
Oniyosys Mobile Testing Practice comprises of a unique combination of skilled software engineering and testing teams with proven expertise in testing tools and methodologies to offer a wide range of testing solutions. We offer our services across all major Mobile Devices, Platforms, Domains and Operating Systems.